The Mon Valley Green Space Coalition began in March, 1995, when over 40 individuals representing civic and government groups agreed to work cooperatively to reclaim existing green spaces and to develop new green spaces. In 1996, the Coalition was established as a 501c3 non-profit charitable organization.
In 2018, members of the Coalition advocated (unsuccessfully) for the preservation of Haymaker Forest, a 42-acre wooded area with trails used for many years by the neighboring community.
Ultimately, a substantial portion of Haymaker Forest was razed for the construction of town homes (view from Dorsey’s Ave, May, 2019)
In 2019, the Coalition successfully advocated for the preservation of some of White Park’s most popular trails—trails that would have been destroyed to construct a waterline.
The Coalition’s 2019 advocacy for White Park resulted in the preservation of many trees of historical significance. These so-called “witness trees” are hundreds of years old (c. 1740 -1917) and witnessed historical events such as the Civil War.
Some of the Coalition’s early projects (1997-2003) included trail and bridge construction in Morgantown’s Whitemoore and White Parks and the construction of learning trails at Cheat Lake Elementary School and South Middle School.